Kilimanjaro Sunscreen Production Unit KSPU was established under RDTC in collaboration
with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to provide Persons with Albinism (PWAs)
of Tanzania quality sunscreen protection.
Sunscreen, also known as sunblock, sun cream or suntan lotion, is a lotion, spray, gel, foam (such as an expanded foam lotion or whipped lotion), stick or other topical product that absorbs or reflects some of the sun‘s ultraviolet (UV) radiation and thus helps protect against sunburn. Diligent use of sunscreen can also slow or temporarily prevent the development of wrinkles, moles and sagging skin.
Ensures the supply of sun lotions to the PWAs through an initiative that is locally managed
Is not any more reliant on external donations of commercial products.
Why KSPU was established
1. More than 85% of PWAs in Tanzania develop precancerous lesions before the age of 20
2. Prevention trough sun protection is essential.
3. There was no company in Tanzania manufacturing sunscreen lotions.
4. Accessibility and availability was very limited.
The first phase of the project consisted of a Clinical Study where two sunscreen
formulas where tested in order to get valuable information on affordability, efficacy,
and mainly acceptance among the PWAs .
KILIMANJARO SUNCARE (KiliSun)
Kilisun is the sunscreen preferred by 67% of the Clinical Study participants.
– SPF 30+, UVA/UVB protection.
– Quality control & SFP tests in vitro.
The creams for the Clinical Study and the first batches of Kilimanjaro Suncare were
manufactured in the Topical Compounding Medication Unit before the CUPWA was built.
In the first 2 years of implementation Kilisun will be distributed free of charge to 2000 PWAs of Tanzania
These PWAs come from:
– The Northern and Lake Zones.
– Schools and centers that for security reasons are holding internally displaced children with albinism.